Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown read their vows on 18th July 1992 in front of 800 guests. She wore a “one-of-a-kind” gown for her wedding that took place on Houston’s estate. They were part of each other’s life from the past three years, i.e., after they met in 1989 at the Soul Train Music Awards.
About her wedding
Whitney was 29 at the time of her marriage, and Bobby was just a 23-year-old man. Her father, John Houston, walked her down the aisle on the grounds of her estate in Mendham region, New Jersey. In 1992 they got married, and Whitney gave birth to a baby girl Bobbi Kristina Brown, in March 1993. Whitney and Brown were married for 15 years until they filed the divorce in September 2006, for a reason unknown to all. Their divorce was finalized in April 2007.
Whitney’s married life
It was reported that Whitney’s marriage was not on the line. According to several reports, it was noted that they were in a toxic and violent relationship. However, all the accusations and statements were turned down by her ex-husband, Bobby Brown.
About her wedding gown:
- Whitney wore an ivory color satin gown created by a New York-based fashion designer, Marc Bouwer.
- With the help of Whitney’s stylist, Diane Johnson, Marc created the gown precisely according to her specific taste in style and fashion.
- It was a four-piece high-neck gown with a built-in bodice, silk mesh overlay, and sheer nylon sleeves along with a pair of satin sleeves.
- She completed her look with a delicate beaded and sequined satin cloche hat and a floor-length silk veil.
- Whitney specifically wanted to have a fitted gown that did not reveal her curves along with a very non-traditional veil.
The gowns description for the auction
In 1992, Whitney passed away at the age of 48, followed by her daughter in the year 2015. After the death of the two, there was no point in keeping the gown safe, so the beautiful dress was made available for bidding by the American auction house, Heritage Auctions. The opening bid of the “one-of-a-kind” gown was $3,500 (£2,731). However, the actual cost of her wedding gown along with matching beaded and sequined cloche hat and silk veil was approximately £31,000 ($40,000).
According to the auction house, the gown comes an authenticity certificate from Houston’s estate in Mendham region of New York. It also comes with a color picture of Houston during the wedding ceremony, confirming that she wore the same gown as she walked down the aisle.
The gown had some marks and scuffs on its bottom, which was because the dress was always in contact with the floor while Whitney wore it. Also, a small hole was on the veil; the rest every four pieces of the gown were in a perfectly excellent condition. The auction of the dress was due to end at the beginning of April of 2020.
However, the “one-of-a-kind” gown was not the only thing that her estate listed for the auction managed by the American auction house, Heritage Auctions.