Do you binge-watch South Park? Then you would be aware of who Randy Marsh, Sharon Marsh, Gerald Broflovsky, and Sheila Broflovsky are!
But do you know the fact that Randy and Sharon Marsh and Gerald and Sheila Broflovsky were actually named after Trey Parker and Matt Stone‘s parents!
Randy Parker is the name of Trey Parker‘s dad, and he’s a geologist like Randy Marsh. Sharon Marsh is not like Sharon Parker, as Sharon Parker is an insurance broker while Sharon Marsh is a receptionist at Tom’s Rhinoplasty. Additionally, Shelley Marsh got her name from Trey Parker‘s older sister named Shelley.
Matt Stone‘s mother, Sheila Stone, is also Jewish, similar to Sheila Broflovski. The last Broflovoski is derived from Sheila Stone’s maiden name, Broslovski, which was changed to Belasco when her family shifted to the United States. Stone’s father, Gerald Whitney Stone, is an economics professor, whereas Gerald Broflovski, is a lawyer.
About South Park
Since the South Park show debuted back on August 13, 1997, 307 episodes have been aired. It debuted with great success, and it was the highest rating program at one time. It’s still among the highest-rated Comedy Central’s shows.
Since 2000, each episode has generally been written and produced in the same week when it would be broadcasted, with Parker being the main writer and director.
- South Park’s main character Stan Marsh shared a birthday with Trey Parker, October 19.
- Trey Parker is the man behind voices of many South Park characters including Stan Marsh, Randy Marsh, Marvin Marsh, Starvin Marvin, Mr. Grassison, Eric Cartman, Dr. Alphonse Mephesto, Santa Claus, God, Sexual Harassment Panda, Officer Barbrady, Timmy, Jimmy Vulmer, Tuong Lu Kim, Phillip. Satan, Stephen Stotch, and a few more minor characters.
- Matt Stone does the voices for characters: Kyle Broflovski, Leopold “Butters,” Kenny McCormick, Craig Tucker, Father Maxi, Mr. Alder, Skeeter, Pip, Tweek, Terrance, Jesus, Jimbo Kem, Big Gay AI, and Saddam Hussein.
- Matt Stone has a dual major degree in film and mathematics from the University of Colorado at Boulder. Trey Parker majored in music at both college and university.
- Matt Stone grew up in Denver before moving to Littleton, Colorado. Trey Parker was raised in Conifer, Colorado. They both studied at the University of Colorado.
- Comedian Seinfeld wanted to be on the show but turned down the offer after Stone and Parker wanted him to play #4 Turkey in Starvin Marvin, which only made cooing noises.
- Most of South Park‘s characters have been inspired by real people. For example, Kenny McCormick is inspired by someone who is almost the same as the cartoon version of Kenny.